Hokkaido Regional Environment Office Drew More than 10,000 Visitors at Integrated Exhibition of the Environment
June 23, 2008
Hokkaido Regional Environment Office, the branch office of Ministry of the Environment, participated in the Integrated Exhibition of the Environment, held from June 19 to June 21 at Sapporo Dome.
The Integrated Exhibition of the Environment, organized by the government of Hokkaido, commemorating the G8 Hokkaido Toyako Summit in 2008, was participated by more than 300 organizations, which displayed their environment-oriented activities, technologies or products. Many shows, experience programs, and forums on environmental issues were also held and attracted many visitors. During the three days, 83,742 people visited the expo in total, and the exhibition of Hokkaido Regional Environment Office welcomed more than 10,000 visitors.
On June 19, Mr. Namiki, Parliamentary Secretary of the Environment, gave a speech in the opening ceremony and took a tour in the exhibition.
Hokkaido Regional Environment Office set the focus of its exhibition on global warming, and produced a wide range of displays, events and programs calling for citizens' actions against global warming in their daily lives. Besides global warming, the 3-R initiatives (reduce, reuse, recycle), nature in Japan, environment conservation activities by various citizens' groups in and out of Hokkaido, and many other exhibitions listed below, were displayed aiming to raise visitors' awareness to the environment.
- Map of Japan's environmental technologies helping various countries and areas in the world
- CO2 emission in our daily lives in Japan
- Impact of global warming on Hokkaido (3-D exhibition)
- Shikotsu-Toya National Park (3-D exhibition)
- Endangered species in Hokkaido (actual slipper orchid endemic to Rebun Island and a decoy of Tufted Puffin displayed)
Activities by civil environmental organizations
- Hokkaido Environment Foundation
- Environmental Partnership Office Hokkaido
- The Japan Center for Climate Change Actions (JCCCA)
- "Eco Action Point" model projects
- "Eco Trunk", a package of environmental learning kit (photo: upper left)
- Quizzes regarding global warming, food and energy, etc. (Hokkaido Environment Foundation)
- CO2 and global warming (Environmental Learning Forum Hokkaido)
- "The Bag of Energy": experiencing the weight of oil a person consumes daily in Japan, China and USA (JCCCA)
- Mechanism of global warming (Hokkaido GEMS)
- Workshop of furoshiki, Japanese traditional wrapping cloths (photo: upper right)
- Show of Morizo and Kikkoro (photo: lower left)
- Live show of Sakana-kun (photo: lower right)
By participating events and programs, Hokkaido Regional Environment Office is further strengthening educational activities to raise the national level of awareness on the environment.